Key Domains of Expertise
- Digital transformation and Internet of Things, including multi-protocol integration, interoperability, scalable platforms, etc. With expertise in smart city, eHealth, smart agriculture, smart buildings, smart industry, energy and water management, environmental monitoring, and connected vehicles.
- Smart Cities and IoT Platforms, including open source platforms such as FIWARE.
- Data protection and GDPR compliance, including audit and gap analysis, data protection impact assessment, privacy and data protection by design, DPO services, Europrivacy readiness, etc.
- Cybersecurity, including data protection by design architectures, Pen tests, ISO/IEC 27001, etc.
- Network technologies and virtualization (SDN, NFV, etc.), including with IPv6, 5G, and IoT/M2M standards.
- Sustainable development, including impact assessment with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the European Taxonomy Regulation.
- International research with over 150 partners across 22 countries, and access to the latest innovations from the European research community.
- Standardization and interoperability, including testbed infrastructure to perform conformance, performance and interoperability tests.
- Outreach and communication.
FIWARE is the largest open-source platform for IoT management adopted by many companies, cities, and public adminsitrations. In its quality of FIWARE iHub, IoT Lab serves as FIWARE center of competence for Switzerland and neighboring countries for FIWARE, from analysis, design, development, to implementation and evaluation. More on FIWARE
Universal Device Gateway (UDG) is a highly scalable multi-protocol control and monitoring system that enable the integration of all sorts of ICT solutions and IoT deployments, including legacy systems. It encompasses over 50 ICT and IoT standards and supports edge processing of events. The UDG Alliance is a core member of IoT Lab. More on www.devicegateway.com.
TM Forum Open APIs have been developed by the largest telecom industry alliance to support service integration and interoperability in the telecom sector. IoT Lab is a member of TM Forum and has led the specification of the TMF Open APIs for IoT.
NAIADES Smart Water platform is an open-source platform developed by UDGA (an IoT Lab member) in the European research programme with several municipalities to leverage artificial intelligence for water management. From water quality monitoring, to smart watering, leakages detection, predictive maintenance, it supports efficient water management and sustainable development.
IoT Lab is a founding member of the Urban Technology Alliance (UTA), a global alliance providing city-scale testbeds from all around the world, to deploy, test and validate the latest smart city innovations.
IoT Lab has a strong expertise in IPv6 and related standards (CoAP, 6LoWPAN, 6TiSCH, etc.). It is an official partner of the IPv6 Forum and serves as laboratory to deliver IPv6 Ready logo certification.
Data Processing ID (DP-ID) is a global registry of public information on data processing activities to comply with articles 13 and 14 of the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). It enables to facilitate the management of data processing internally and with third parties and to monitor interdependent data processing with data processors. Each DP-ID enables to inform data subjects on the processing of their personal data and their rights. www.dp-id.com
Privacy App is an online mobile application that enables municipalities to inform their citizens about the Internet of Things deployed in their surroundings as required by the European regulation (Art. 12-14, GDPR), and about their data storage and processing. It supports privacy-by-design smart cities and citizens personal data protection. www.privacyapp.org
Privacy Pact is an online tool for companies to easily express their commitment to respect and to abide by the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules and principles, regardless of their location. It is not a certification, but can be used to prepare a certification process such as Europrivacy. www.privacypact.com
fleetNET is a cloud-ready solution for efficient and comprehensive management of vehicles and other company assets, including optimization of waste collection services and reduction of other operational costs. The platform is designed for scalability, enabling the addition of fleet assets with any tracking device that counts with a supported communication protocol.
Europrivacy provides the most comprehensive methodology to assess and certify compliance with data protection regulations, including the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Swiss federal Act on data protection, and over 15 non-EU jurisdictions. More on Europrivacy
IAM4SDG is an Impact Assessment Methodology for the SDGs that aims at providing a user-friendly and easily implementable methodology and tool to align any projects, pilots, public infrastructure and private investments with sustainable development and the 17 SDGs adopted by the UN. More on IAM4SDG